Monday, August 18, 2008

Jesus and Napolean Hill

I am reading Napoleon Hill's Think and Grow Rich. Hill says "fix in your mind the exact amount of money you desire." Certainly setting goals is a part of business, but when does one step over the line given to us by Jesus in the Sermon. Napoleon Hill says "only those who become 'money conscious' ever accumulate great riches. 'Money consciousness' means that the mind has become so thoroughly saturated with the desire for money, that one can see one's self already in possession of it." See the dilemma ---positive thinking, yet the giving of oneself so completely to the idea of success that treasures on earth become the focus. Jesus said, "You cannot serve both God and money….Seek first his kingdom and his righteousness and all these things will be given to you as well." Hmmm (Matthew 6:24, 33)

Jesus tells us not to desire to store up for myself treasures on earth, but in heaven…Hmm…where my treasure is, there my heart will be also. (Matthew 19-21) In another place, Jesus said that it was easier for a camel to go through a small gate than for a rich man to go to heaven…. So I need to be positive…I need to set my goals…I need to work hard…but how does a businessman keep the balance. I believe it can be done in two ways.

FIRST, SET A LIFESTYLE CAP, or set a limit to the income you will take from your business to spend on yourself. Now most people have income limits that are imposted by salaries. The danger of those in the salary group is getting caught up in a consumptive lifestyle supported with credit cards, not realizing that they are storing up treasures on earth with their attitudes and buying habits. They like to point these words of Jesus at the guy who makes a million. The lifestyle cap can be applied whether you are salaried or commission. A lifestyle cap can keep my life in balance.

The second way to keep balance whether salaried or making hundreds of thousands is to "store up for yourself treasures in heaven." After your lifestyle cap has been reached or some limit established, take the amount above it and use it for good deeds. In I Timothy 6:18, 19, Paul commands the rich to "be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. In this way, they will lay up treasures for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold the life that is truly life." Jesus told the rich young ruler in Matthew 19:21 "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come and follow me." See also Luke 16:9 for an interesting additional thought.

Choosing the extra vacation trip, the second vacation home, the new BMW, the extra nice restaurants are too easy to justify if we don't decide what the limits are before. I know me and I think most of you are like me….greed and pride cloud judgment and that is why "the rich" have to get on their knees to go through the gate.

1 comment:

Casey said...

This brings us to the difficult question, "are we to take Jesus' words literally, today?" or even, "did He mean them to be taken literally" or was He just indicating the attitude we should have towards wealth...

Great thoughts dad. I am a little wary of the "will-it-to-be/create-your-own-reality" mindset, to be honest, but the fact that you are keeping yourself in check from the get-go is a good sign. I hope you have someone who can hold you accountable too, you might need it.

keep these posts coming!! i love it!